^_^ I finally got my usb wireless adapter working in linux. I had scores of trouble last night and spent the entire evening (and well into the night) trying to get it working. I hooked up my ethernet card this morning (can't work very well in linux without an internet connection) and I figured I'd try one more time. At first it wouldn't work, but it finally started reading the base station without a problem and now I'm connected. I disconnected the ethernet cable and tried accessing a site again, and it still worked.
I'm wireless now folks! Well, minus the power cables, but we can figure something out for those some other day.